Hospitals Building Healthier Communities: Investing Outside Institutional Walls
March 19, 2014
3:00-4:00 p.m. ET
2:00-3:00 p.m. CT
A growing number of hospitals are engaged in community economic development, recognizing the importance of poverty, unemployment, environmental hazards and other social factors in determining health outcomes. This webinar, in collaboration with the Association for Community Health Improvement, brings together practitioners from three health systems leading the way in implementing inclusive economic development and investment strategies to create healthier communities. The discussion will use the findings of the Democracy Collaborative's "The Anchor Dashboard: Aligning Institutional Practice to Meet Low-Income Community Needs," as a starting point to show how hospitals can expand their positive community impact with existing resources. This webinar is available free of charge but advanced registration is required.
- Introduce the concepts of anchor institutions and community wealth building;
- Explore how inclusive economic development strategies can create healthier communities;
- Promote innovative strategies for leveraging health system resources to benefit surrounding communities; and
- Provide best practice examples to assist participants to develop efforts at home institutions.
- David Zuckerman, research associate, The Democracy Collaborative
- Edward Gerardo, director, community commitment and social investments, Bon Secours Health System, Inc.
- Heidi Gartland, vice president, government relations, University Hospitals
- Cathy Rowan, director, socially responsible investments, CHE/Trinity Health
This webinar is available free of charge but advanced registration is required.