AARP Solutions Forum How to Improve Care and Lower Costs in Medicare: Promising Approaches
May 7, 2013
The Public Policy Institute brought together leading experts to discuss promising approaches to improving care and lowering Medicare costs. The panel looked at:
• New ways to organize care that is better for consumers and for the Medicare program, such as use of Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) and medical homes.
• Payment approaches that encourage health care practitioners to work together to provide better, more efficient care.
• Practices that help reduce hospital readmission, improve patient safety, and improve transitional care.
• Building infrastructure (such as health information - HIT) to support structural changes.
• Enhancing the value of prescription drugs across the health care system and Medicare.
• Practices that promote optimal medication use.
The panel included:
• Leah Binder, CEO, The Leapfrog Group
• Jennifer Eames Huff, Director, Consumer-Purchaser Disclosure Project
• Michael H. James, President and CEO, Genesys PHO
• Lisa McGiffert, Director, Safe Patient Project, Consumers Union
• Patricia Smith, President and CEO, Alliance of Community Health Plans
• Nicholas Wolter, MD, CEO, Billings Clinic
Susan Reinhard, AARP SVP and Director, AARP Public Policy Institute, and Larry Atkins, President, National Academy of Social Insurance, moderated the discussion.
Test Your System
Download Flash Player